The Vicar's Library
A film by Grisha Nikolsky, narrated by Councillor Nicholas Fogg
The Vicar’s Library is a collection of 237 books bequeathed to the town by Rev William White in 1678 for the use by the Vicar of St Marys and under the trusteeship of the Mayor and Corporation of Marlborough. The oldest book was published in 1487.
There are some extremely rare volumes all contained in individual moisture proof boxes and kept in a temperature-controlled room.
Marlborough Town Council gave the collection to the Bodleian Library Oxford on permanent loan in 1985. Each Mayor is a trustee of the collection and free to inspect it, as can anyone by prior arrangement.