Marlborough Town Hall
This beautiful Victorian building is the focal point of the charming High Street in Marlborough, a quintessentially English market town nestling in the Kennet Valley and undulating Marlborough Downs.
Construction for the current Town Hall was begun during Queen Victoria's reign and completed by C.E. Ponting, and the building was opened in October 1902 after Edward VII came to the throne. Now Grade II listed, it was built in the Dutch style which was very popular with the Edwardians. The Mayor's Parlour and the front windows were added to enclose the front staircases at a later date. The exterior was given a complete makeover in 2004 for the 800th anniversary of the Town's Charter. It stands on the same site as previous Town Halls built in 1793 and 1867: "A death trap gone"
There is a ramp at the front entrance for wheelchair and pushchair access, a lift to first floor, a hearing loop and free WiFi.
The Court Room
The Court Room was used as a magistrate's court with prisoners housed in the cells in the basement. In those days, they would be brought up into the Court Room through a hatch in the floor (which is still there). Nowadays, it is more likely to be used for public sales and wedding ceremonies. It is a light, airy, high-ceilinged room on the ground floor with front doors opening onto a wide sweep of steps - perfect for wedding photos. There is a ramp for wheelchair and pushchair access. There's some history on the walls: see "an object lesson in history"
The Council Chamber
Portraits of Marlborough's past Mayors line the walls of this intimate panelled room where the Town Council hold their Committee Meetings. There is a large stained glass window depicting the arms of the old Borough. Lord Ailesbury presented the Mayor's chair for the Council Chamber in 1901. The room is available to hire for intimate wedding ceremonies, conferences and private meetings. Maximum capacity: 30 people. Read what the Marlborough Times and Wilts and Berks County Paper had to say about the Council Chamber when the building was first opened.
The Assembly Room
The Assembly Room is on the first floor, accessed by its grand staircase and with an adjoining bar. This is an imposing room with chandeliers, painted vaulted ceiling and a balcony with a magnificent view of the famous wide sweep of the High Street. It is used today for receptions, parties, film shows, plays and official civic events. There is a curtained stage equipped with audio/visual equipment and a cinema sized screen, and there is a lift from the ground floor. The Assembly Room seats up to 150 on round or long tables and has an adjoining kitchen for you or your caterers to use.
Back to Town Hall page