Town CrestMarlborough Town Council
 07593 584099 10am-2pm Mon-Fri

VisitMarlborough Instagram buttonbutton to Facebook pagebutton to Twitter pagebutton to Tourist Information pages YouTube link button

Marlborough Town Council
Tel: 
01672 512487 
  E-mail us  5 High Street, Marlborough, SN8 1AA   Weekdays 10am-4pm

social facebook box blue 64  social twitter box blue 64  info   

Coat of Arms

The original arms showed a silver castle on a blue shield. In 1563 the present shield was granted, with the castle crest added in 1714 and the greyhound supporters in 1836. The coat of arms appears in stained glass in the Council Chamber - viewed from the outside by standing on the south side of the High Street on the corner with the Parade, with your back to The Bear public house.

The motto, "ubi nunc sapientis ossa Merlini" (where now are the bones of wise Merlin?) was adopted in the 19th century and refers to a 12th century tradition of the castle mound - now within the grounds of Marlborough College - being the burial place of Merlin.

chambercoatofarms   paintedcrest

Print Email