General Information

Marlborough Town Council office staff

Any comments or enquiries relating to the Town Council should be made to either the Town Clerk, the Office Manager, Mrs Sue Fry or the Civic Secretary Mrs Linda Chapman

Click here for roles and responsibilities of Marlborough Town Council.

Play Areas for Children

The Town Council owns and/or maintains a number of open spaces, which include seven with dedicated play areas for children.

The maps show where you can find all these play areas. For visitors to the town the most central playground is in Cooper's Meadow. Some maps contain links to more information such as details of additional amenities. We've also included a map showing more of our open spaces where, despite not having dedicated play equipment, there is space for children to explore and invent their own games.

We hope children will enjoy using these areas. Should you have questions or encounter any problems please get in touch with us.

The play areas (clockwise) are:

location map rabley wood

location wye house gardens

location map recreation ground play area

location map coopers meadow

location map orchard road

location map jubilee field

location map the common play areas

location map open spaces without play equipment.gif

Click here to view pages on St Mary's Churchyard, The Green, Priory Gardens, Plume of Feathers Garden, Stonebridge Meadow and Elcot Lane Playing Fields and Village Green

Print Email

The Jubilee Field

jubilee field panorama

The Jubilee Field is at Bridge Street, Manton, between the bridge over the River Kennet and the Outside Chance public house.
Click here for location map.

Bordered on one side by the River Kennet, the Jubilee Field is a riverside open space just under 2 acres in total with benches, play equipment for children up to 12 years old and football goalposts. Dogs are welcome in the field but not in the children's playground.

As well as recreation, the field has played host in the past to a duck race, a balloon race, school fund raisers and summer fayres among other events. If you would like to discuss holding an event here please get in touch.

In 1930 the land was sold to Mrs Ethel Mary Dominy with an annual tithe of five shillings per acre. Mrs Dominy made a declaration of trust to create charitable status for the land in 1936 and upon her death in 1952 the Mayor and Aldermen of the Borough of Marlborough were appointed as trustees.

Manton-Entrance-001
Manton-13
Manton-5
Manton-16
Manton-7
Manton-2
Manton-4

 

 

 

 

Print Email

Elcot Lane playing fields & village green

Open grassy space which includes a football pitch, located adjacent to Marlborough Town Football Club and leading into Stonebridge Meadow. There is a pavilion here, currently leased to Marlborough Amateur Boxing Club.

A commemorative stone was unveiled on 14th November 2015 by Julie Evans who started the process of registering the open space at Elcot Lane as a Village Green in 2005, so preserving this land for all the community to enjoy.

In February 2016 members of the local community turned out on a bright half-term Monday to plant trees and shrubs - a great community project funded by the Town Council and Area Board, and all masterminded by the Elcot Lane Residents Group. Really good to see Scouts, Cubs, the Town Council Grounds Team and volunteers all working together.

Elcot-1
Elcot-trees-4
Elcot-Stone
DSC08142
DSC08139
DSC08119
DSC08117
DSC08110
DSC08101
834
838

Print Email

Plume of Feathers Garden

The garden is tucked away off the London Road, reached via Plume of Feathers Lane (diagonally opposite the petrol station) and is currently leased to the Richmond Fellowship and open to the public. Formerly allotments, the garden now provides seating, a pond and a fruit and vegetable garden complete with bug houses providing a space for nature. The Richmond Fellowship works towards a society that values everyone with mental health problems with the belief that recovery is possible for every individual.

In 2017 the garden was awarded an Advancing certificate from South West in Bloom as one of the Its Your Neighbourhood entries that helped Marlborough achieve its first ever Gold from the prestigious South West in Bloom competition.

Richmond-Fellowship-Award
Plume-of-Feathers-Award
SWIB-Certificate-2017
seating-area-aug-2017
mural-detail-aug-2017
from-pond-aug-2017
PlumeofFeathersRichmondFellowship
PlumeofFeathers1
PlumeofFeathers2
PlumeofFeathers3

 

Print Email

Allotments

Allotments have seen an increase in popularity in recent years, as people of all ages become more interested in leisure gardening and producing their own food.

Marlborough Town Council has three allotment sites, two of which they own and one on land leased from the St John's Trust. The allotments are adminstered by Marlborough Town Council and are maintained jointly by the Council and Marlborough Allotment Association.

Locations 

Elcot Lane

Elcot Lane Allotments

Situated on Elcot Lane with the benefit of a water supply. This site provides 5 starter plots each approximately 20ft x 20ft in size and 24 larger plots each approximately 25ft x 55ft.

St John's Close

St John's Close

Situated just off of Marlborough Common, opposite St John's Close. The site provides 10 plots each measuring approximately 20ft x 60ft.

Stonebridge Lane

Stonebridge Lane Allotments

Situated just off the Stonebridge Lane footpath which can be accessed via London Road (next to T H Whites) or St Martin's (next to Vicarage Close). This site provides 31 plots averaging 20ft x 30ft.

Charges

Rental charges per annum from 1st April 2018:

Elcot Lane - full plot £40.00
Elcot Lane - half plot £24.00
Elcot Lane - one third plot £9.50
St John's Close - Full plot £33.00
St John' Close - Half plot £22.00
Stonebridge Lane - £22.00

You can download the list of charges here

Apply

If you would like to apply please fill in the application form and send it to us at 5 High Street, Marlborough SN8 1AA. For more information contact Sue Fry on 01672 512487 Mon-Fri between 10am and 4pm, or email suefry@marlborough-tc.gov.uk. To be eligible for an allotment, residents must live within the parish of Marlborough.

Print Email

Skatepark

Skate ParkThe Town Council added the Skatepark at the Recreation Ground in Salisbury Road in 2010 with help from Lottery funding and with local youngsters helping with the design and planning. 

It is all concrete with street and transition elements. According to The Skateparks Projects, it is a great local spot with a transitions focus. There's a decent selection of obstacles, and the surfaces are smooth and fast, making it a great place to come whether your are a beginner or more experienced skater.

Take a virtual tour at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foqol4RyVd4

Print Email

The Green

greenpanoramaThe Greensnowy Green

Blue Plaque to William GoldingThe Green is an open space available for everyone to enjoy, whether dog walking, playing games, picnicking or simply sitting on one of the benches and watching the world go by.

Today there are at least 24 listed buildings on the Green.  One, 17th century Number 29, on the western side at the junction with Patten Alley, has a blue plaque commemorating the boyhood home of author William Golding. There is also a list of owners since 1502 in the porch. 

The avenue of trees dates from about 1840.  They are native limes (also known as linden or basswood, of the Tilia genus) which are pollarded annually to keep them well maintained. 

autumn trees panoramaSpring bulbs appear in February/March and the Forestry Commission has donated Christmas Trees in recent years.

The Green may be older than we think.  From before the Norman Conquest the Saxons divided up the country into Hundreds and Marlborough was in the Hundred of Selkley.  Where that was exactly isn’t known, but it is believed to have been between Overton and Fyfield Downs.  It has long been thought that the Saxon settlement grew up around what is now The Green.  “The absence of archaeological evidence from the Saxon period perhaps favours a date in the mid-11th century, even as late as 1066” (Dr J Chandler, 2001). Green Looking North

More information on the Green, the development of Marlborough as a town, and some fascinating early maps, are available at http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getcom.php?community=Marlborough  

For an in-depth history take a look at British History Online at http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol12/pp199-229 where we learn that in 1204 the King granted to the Burgesses of Marlborough an eight-day fair to begin on the eve of the Assumption (14th August), presumably held in St Mary’s parish, possibly on the Green.  In 1229 Henry
IIIThe Green South granted that a four-day fair to begin on the eve of St Martin (10th November) might be held on the ‘new land’ of Marlborough and this was held on the Green in the later 18th century.

From J.E. Chandler’s book[1], we learn that in 1771 Rowland Hill preached on the Green.  His reception does not appear to have been very good, as he records of the men of Marlborough “They pelted me with stones and eggs, but through God’s mercy I was not hurt”.

The annual Sheep Fair was held on the Green until 1893, when it was transferred to The Common. 

In the 18th and 19th centuries the Green was the working class area of the town with industries and ale-houses rather than inns.  The house on the east side, to the left of the stone building with Doric columns, Painting by George Matonwas the home of a hand weaver and had first floor windows along its entire length as can be seen in the painting. 

 


[1] A History of Marlborough, J.E. Chandler.  Originally published in 1977.  It was revised in 2004 as the White Horse Bookshop’s contribution to the celebrations of the 800th anniversary of the granting of the first charter by King John



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Print Email

More Articles ...